The Foster & Adoptive Parent Advocacy Center (FAPAC) gives critical support to the foster, kinship, and adoptive families who care for children in the District of Columbia's child welfare system.
FAPAC's mission is to significantly improve the lives of children in the District of Columbia child welfare system by empowering their foster, kinship, and adoptive parents to advocate for their children's needs and ensuring the inclusion of those perspectives at every relevant table.
FAPAC works to heal children by empowering families. To accomplish this goal, we
- Offer intensive trainings to enable foster parents to build their capacity to parent children who have experienced neglect and abuse.
- Provide comprehensive support to assist families who are struggling to navigate the system to get services for children in their homes.
- Develop advocacy skills of families so that they can better advocate for the needs of the children in their homes, and can help other families to do the same.
- Coordinate and organize the foster, kinship, and adoptive parent community to participate in policy review, meetings, and projects alongside of the professionals who serve our children so that they can participate at tables of systemic reform.
- Build partnership and collaboration between foster parents and social workers, and foster parents and birth parents, and among agencies, so that children are better served.
|"FAPAC has provided a safe haven for me as a foster parent to go for support and good advice on many areas that come up while taking the city's children into my home. Just knowing that they are there and the mission that they have established makes me feel so much better about what I do as a foster parent."
Important Announcements & Program Updates
FAPAC HAS A NEW PROGRAM!
The Program is called Families Growing Stronger Together. It combines both a parenting class and a support group and is available for parents 25 years old or younger, or ANY parent with a child who is 6 years old or younger. The group meets weekly on Wednesday evenings from 6pm - 9pm. Click here for more information.
Our next CFSA/CWTA-approved Shared Parenting Training for resource parents will be held on Saturday (9/26) from 9:30am until 1:00pm. All foster and kinship parents caring for children in the DC foster care system are welcome to register. To secure your spot, register online or call FAPAC at 202-269-9441 and leave a detailed message in mailbox #8.
FAPAC is please to partner with CFSA on Family Link, a system-wide effort to promote and support shared parenting such that resource parents and birth parents have opportunities to work together on behalf of the children in foster care. Visit Family Link's website for more information.
FAPAC's monthly peer support group meetings (a.k.a. CRG reunions) are now open to all resource parents caring for DC kids, not just the graduates of our eight-week long clinical rap group.
Click here to sign up for one of our upcoming gatherings.
Mobile Stabilization Services (MSS) is a valuable support for foster parents who are experiencing destabilizing situations with children in their homes. Click here for more information.